1. WHO ARE NRNS ?
“Non-resident Nepali” means a foreign citizen of Nepalese origin and this term also includes a Nepalese citizen residing abroad. “Foreign citizen of Nepalese origin” means a person who him/herself or whose father, mother grandfather or grandmother was a citizen of Nepal at any time and has subsequently acquired the citizenship of any other foreign country other than a member country of the South Asian Association of Regional Co-operation (SAARC). “Nepali citizen residing abroad” means a Nepali citizen who has been residing in any foreign country for at least two years engaged in any profession, occupation, business and employment except a Nepalese citizen residing in a member country of SAARC or serving in a diplomatic mission or consulate situated in a foreign country under the assignment of the Government of Nepal and pursuing studies in an academic institution in a foreign country. Family members of NRN can also register as NRN and obtain their ID cards.
2. WHY HAS THE GOVERNMENT RECOGNIZED THEM AND SOUGHT THEIR PARTICIPATION?
The affairs of NRNs are governed by Non-Resident Nepali Act, 2008 and Non-Resident Nepali Rules, 2009. The government has recognized NRNs and sought their participation for the following reasons:
- To motivate Non-Resident Nepalese to take part in all round advancement of Nepal and enhance their attachment towards Nepal; and
- To encourage their investment in Nepal.
3. FACILITIES EXTENDED TO NRNS BY THE GOVERNMENT OF NEPAL:
The government of Nepal has extended, among others, the following facilities to NRNs:
- Issuance of Identity Card upon their application with necessary documents and fees
- Right to open an account in convertible foreign currency
- Investment can be made in convertible foreign currency
- Repatriation of investment and profit earned out of investment
- Right to run an industry or business
- Purchase of land for residential purpose
Information about NRNs
Please note that 5 copies of Auto size (3cm X 2.5cm) photograph is required for NRN Card Application